Is this some sort of infection

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Reaction score
My mom stabilized and cleared her wine the other day. Wine cleared nicely but this is floating on top in the carboy.

image-2977933297.jpg

What do you think? Anyway to solve the problem? Should I rack again as there is a bunch of sediment on the bottom.

What was the procedure on making this kit. It is very difficult to figure out what is wrong we we don't know what was done. Sorry but to give a good answer we do need some facts.

Like I said its my moms kit. Ill get there tommorow and give you guys the run down.

Find out if she used an oxygen based cleanser on the carboy like Cbrite or One step. Lots of times this stuff when used leaves a film that's almost impossible to see except when a liquid us added and this is a typical result. It says no rinse but honestly without rinsing this happens almost every time.

Find out if she used an oxygen based cleanser on the carboy like Cbrite or One step. Lots of times this stuff when used leaves a film that's almost impossible to see except when a liquid us added and this is a typical result. It says no rinse but honestly without rinsing this happens almost every time.

Wade, great point. My bet is OxiClean.

I am a homebrewer so I make sure she uses Starsan (my personal favorite). Anyways, is it possible she didn't mix the sorbate and sulfites well enough?

Did she use tablets or powder form of k-meta??

Sometimes if the tablets are not crushed well enough the glue like substance that binds the tablet together can form a milky substance on the top of your wine...

Wade, great point. My bet is OxiClean.

so ima step in and hijack cause this has me curious, say it is oxiclean, now what? hahah reason i ask i use oxiclean in carboys and primaries

I would rack into a clean carboy and leave that film behind..

Just make sure you thoroughly rinse your carboys before use..

so ima step in and hijack cause this has me curious, say it is oxiclean, now what? hahah reason i ask i use oxiclean in carboys and primaries

Some cleaners, like Oxi-Clea, will leave residue if not rinsed thoroughly. In addition, Oxi-Clean comes in many varieties, including Oxi-Clean Versatile, but only Oxi-CleanVersatile Free does not contain chlorine, dye, or fragrances. My preference is to use cleaner where no rinsing is required - like Easy Clean.

In terms "now what?", it's best to avoid the problem.

I think crushed. I wasn't there when she did it. I will have to ask her but from what I remember when we started the kit everything was in powder form.

Some cleaners, like Oxi-Clea, will leave residue if not rinsed thoroughly. In addition, Oxi-Clean comes in many varieties, including Oxi-Clean Versatile, but only Oxi-CleanVersatile Free does not contain chlorine, dye, or fragrances. My preference is to use cleaner where no rinsing is required - like Easy Clean.

In terms "now what?", it's best to avoid the problem.

gotcha thanks all for that bit of information

I doubt its an infection as IMO its to early for that unless something was really nasty when used. I do believe its residue of some sort or undissolved sorbate but usually its more a of oblong shape then dots when its sorbate but different manufacturers use different brands of dorbate and sometimes they are more of pellets the oblong.

Back